Studio Condenser Microphone
The U 87 is probably the best known and most common Neumann studio microphone.
The U 87 is equipped with a large dual-diaphragm capsule with three directional patterns: omnidirectional, cardioid and figure-8. These are selectable with a switch below the headgrille. A 10 dB attenuation switch is located on the rear. It enables the microphone to handle sound pressure levels up to 127 dB without distortion. Furthermore, the low-frequency response can be reduced to compensate for proximity effect.
- Pressure gradient receiver
- Polar pattern: omnidirectional, cardioid, figure-of-eight
- Switchable 10 dB attenuation
- Nominal impedance 200 Ohm
- Frequency response 20 - 20,000 Hz
- Sound pressure level for k < 0.5%: 117 dB (cardioid)
- Sound pressure level for k < 0.5% with pre-attenuation: 127 dB
- 48 V phantom powering required
- Dimensions (diameter x length): 56 x 200 mm
- Weight: 500 g
- Colour: Nickel
- Suitable elastic suspension: art. 125520 (not included)
- Suitable tripod mount: art. 218556 (not included)